Injuring one person, an air freshener caused a car to explode in a B&Q car park in Southend.
In the incident, the roof and doors were blown off the Ford Focus, according to a report by Southend Echo.
Staff working at a DIY store rushed to help with the casualty until the injured person was taken to the hospital for his minor injuries.
"The explosion happened after a build-up of gases from an air freshener was accidentally ignited by a cigarette," said Essex Fire and Rescue Service.
A nearby witness reported that he heard a "very loud bang" and that the "doors, windscreen and roof... were blown out."
He tweeted, "B&Q staff rushing to help."
The unfortunate explosion happened around 12:15 BST and all three emergency services came to the scene.
"One patient... is believed to have minor injuries," an East of England Ambulance Service spokeswoman confirmed. The ambulance service was unable to confirm whether the injured person was male or female.
The car suffered "significant damage", the fire service said, however, the "cause of the explosion has been confirmed as accidental."