MZANZI FRONT-WHEEL DRIVE-BASED DRAG RACE SERIES TO LAUNCH IN 2023
There’s a new race series in town, well almost. The chaps from National Motorsport Mzanzi are normally the ones covering all manner of race events around the country, but with the crew all being thoroughbred motorsport fanatics, it was just a matter of time before they got involved in the planning and hosting side of events. The first event will be tailored to front-wheel drive cars only and judging by the response online, it looks like things will be action-packed from a very full field of properly strong cars. To get some awareness of the upcoming series, the folk from NMM set up an event at Formula K racetrack in Benoni where the rules for the event could be discussed and any interested racers could ask questions and voice concerns - drag race chaps always have concerns, especially when some tight rules are in place.
We only had a short time available to spend at this launch event, but in that time we spoke to loads of friends both new and old who seem super keen to support this race series and the pending new drag strip. Racers are a good bunch like that, there were plenty of well-known fast rear-wheel and all-wheel drive cars in attendance which was a nice show of support and also let the organisers know that should they expand the rules or set up a dedicated event for these cars that there will be as much support. All in all, this looks to be a great race series at what will likely become a very popular venue. The area it's located in, the East Rand is known to be packed with copious amounts of fast cars, there are probably more turbocharged VWs per capita than in any other country in the world, not to mention those wearing other automaker badges. Big up to everyone involved with this series and the new venue, we’ll be watching the proceedings closely and will keep you posted on the building schedule and event updates. As it stand things are billed to kick off in December this year with the inaugural event and the rest of the series follows through 2023. It's going to be an interesting path to that R100 000 top prize.
Rules as they stand.
15-inch tyres only
- N/A class to run on tyres with a width of 205
- Boosted class to run on tyres with a width of 225
16/17-inch tyres - limited to a width of 205
- Drivers have 10-seconds to do a burnout & 30-seconds to get to the line for heads up racing
- Losers from the 1st round of racing will form a separate group and have a chance to race against one another. The Top 4 from this group will rejoin the series to have a shot at winning the main prize of R100,000.
- Weight restrictions are as follows: weight reduction has a limit of 50kgs. The car can only weigh 50kgs less that the weight reflected on the license disc. If anyone decides to add weight to their cars, they can add as much weight as they would like to.
- Racers can run any fuel of their choice
- Race distance + - 280m
- Only pre-2011 year model cars are eligible to enter.
- No 4-wheel drives allowed.
- R100,000 cash prize to the winner of the final event
- Full TV coverage to be aired on Ignition TV
Be sure to check out our YouTube channel here for more exciting and exclusive SXdrv content! And don't forget to smash that subscribe button!